Taking Expressions of Interest for 2021
Abel Tasman Walk | 6 Nights
Abel Tasman National Park, situated in the North Eastern corner of the South Island is home to one of the most scenic and easily accessible walks in New Zealand. Taking five days to be as active or relaxed as you wish, walking a total of 38 km, on this picturesque coastal track. Daily walking distance from 8km to maximum* of 17km in a single day and an elevation of no more than 120m. Experiencing the true essence of New Zealand’s finest Coastal national park with a fully qualified and expert guide. You are in good hands with this passionate team and family owned business, connected with the Abel Tasman for over eight generations. With meals, accommodation and transport included, this is the perfect opportunity to immerse yourself in nature on one of New Zealand most stunning walks.
• Arrival & departure seat in coach transfer
• 1 night pre and post accommodation
• 5 Day guided walk with knowledgeable guide
• Luggage transfers
• Meals: B, L, D + Morning & Afternoon Tea
Walking each day is optional. If you don’t wish to walk you are welcome to travel on any of our scheduled boat services.
Day 1: Arrive Nelson
Transfer from Nelson Airport to Nelson Hotel
• Group welcome dinner at Trailways Hotel Nelson
• Accommodation overnight at Trailways Hotel Nelson
Day 2: Nelson / Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
Cruise the azure waters of the coast, Kaiteriteri to Totaranui (2 hrs).
• Cruise the azure waters of the coast, Kaiteriteri to Totaranui (2 hrs).
• Walk through isolated northern forest and along spectacular beaches to historic Meadowbank Homestead - Awaroa (2½ hrs / 7 kms).
Day 3: Explore Awaroa
Walk up to 4 hrs (8 kms) or sheltered water kayaking (tides permitting).
• Walk up to 4 hrs (8 kms) or sheltered kayaking.
• Relax or explore the largest tidal estuary in the Park.
• Visit early European and pre-European historical sites.
• Enjoy the comforts of Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa on the beach, surrounded by living history.
Day 4: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
Total walking time approx. 6 hrs (17 kms).
• Walk over the Tonga Saddle to Onetahuti (1½ hrs / 5 kms) where your guide will settle you into your kayaks for a full training session.
• Sea Kayak from Onetahuti to Torrent Bay, stopping for lunch on a golden beach along the way (4 hrs / 10 kms).
• If conditions allow, visit the seal colony at Tonga Island.
Day 5: Explore Torrent Bay
Walk up to 5 hrs (10 kms) or canoe (tides permitting). Options include:
• Walk through breathtaking first generation forest, up to the waterfalls on Falls River;
• Canoe in the estuary or walk to tranquil Cleopatra’s Pool;
• Walk to the protected golden beaches of Anchorage & Te Pukatea and visit historic Maori sites at Pitt Head;
• Relax and enjoy the beach-side character of Torrent Bay Lodge
Day 6: Torrent Bay to Motueka / Nelson
Total walking time approx. 4-5 hrs (13-16 kms) or Kayak
• Beach-hop from Torrent Bay to Kaiteriteri or Marahau depending on tides and weather conditions
• Visit offshore islands and explore hidden coves.
• Your bus awaits for transport to Motueka or Nelson.
Day 7: Depart Nelson
At leisure until Transfer to Nelson Airport, Optional Activities:
• Half day city snapshot tour: Learn about the history and culture of Nelson including Maori Culture.
• Half day wine, brews & views tour: Travel to two wineries, a brewery and the oldest pub in New Zealand. Indulge in tastings as well as the opportunity to meet the makers.